Monday, May 18, 2009

My TV nanny


what exactly are we?.... Think about it?... What are we and how did we get to be "that"?... A product of our parents love or neglect, a summation of what we've been subjected to in schools and social groupings? or even just an projection of who we think we should be at this point in our lives?

Well.... I don't know about you but I figured out for damn sure that I'm a sum of all the TV iv watched over the years, really, if you know me you will realize that I just seem to know quite a lot of random information. Its helped me become so sort of one stop shop, problem solver. Its cool, but when i think about it its always freaky.
Example time; this one time i went to a hospital because a friend got hit by a car, when the doctor came in and asked what was wrong and i went into my Gray's anatomy/house/scrubs routine, diagnosing her head ache was due to dehydration from the copious amounts of alcohol imbued that night. The hit from the car gave her a mild concussion, hence her thinking a lekki hospital was somewhere near Crowley and her insistence that she could still get the tube in V.I.
Basically the doctor asked if i was a doctor and though i couldn't hide the smile of pride (he must have just been being polite, but still) as i said no, that i just seem to know stuff. Then he went on to say i was right, making my head swell all the more.

My point?.... Im a genius.....ok...no but well we are all brought up differently and come to be who we are today through different means. I was just in awe of the fact that after all the schools I'v been through and all the forms of education which have been through me...here i stand...still a product of the world of media. Magazines like GQ make me want to be a certain way, TV shows like "how i met your mother" make me want to have certain types of social interactions and then we have all the comic knowladge and movie triva stored up in my cranial cavity so I know scientific experiments, Police procedure, the meanderings of the judicial system, cooking methods, outdoors/survival skills, even frikin hand to hand combat and all this is because i tune in from time to time.

TV didn't raise me, but it sure helped a whole lot.

No comments: