Monday, October 19, 2009

Highway 2 Where?

It just hit me....I mean really hit me. I was on a bike and a pebble bounced of the undulating tarmac and pinged the perspex visor on the helmet i was wearing. As i shook my head slightly smiling at the fact i hate wearing helmets (only god know who wore it before me) i realized the car that spun it of its rear tire belonged to a friend of mine. So i reiterate, It just hit me....This is really not where im suppose to be right now. A friend wrote on FB, likening our situation to that of the sinking titanic and we seem to be distracted by the band playing instead of looking out for the next raft.

Nigeria is a wonderful place, dont get me wrong but is it the place for me? Like i heard about one of the first black me on the board of Schlumbeger, how he grew up in a shitty part of naija, moved to a better part, went to uni here, then bounced....did a ,asters in the states, got employed, traveled around the world for Schlum and basically climbed the corporate ladder to the point his multi digit salary was strictly for him, everything else was paid for by the company. So i say again, it took a pebble bouncing of my head to make me realize iv been wasting time. I work hard, try to play hard, socialize often and have loads of connections, but when they zoom past me in their 4 wheeled mode of transport, flicking stones in my face, having a car in another state just dont cut it.

We are all advocates in our personal justice system. So take a sec and be your personal devils advocate. Are you where you want to be and are you doing all you can to get where you should be? In my opinion....hails no. Im an editor in an up and coming publication, yes thats good and somewhat close to that 5yr plan i made innocently in uni. but there is still so much work to do. So i say step out of the box, look in on what youve done...if its enough...try adding a'lil more. if not? GET UR ASS IN GEAR!

No comments: