Saturday, August 28, 2010

Friends like these...


We all grew up with them, different people that have been there with us through out our ups and downs, or red light, green light games, Ten ten, skipping rope, who stole the meat form the cooking pot sessions, camping trips, when had our 1st taste of alcohol, Twister, truth or dare marathons (you know you planned with your friends before time, who would be kissing whom....I know I did *wink*) and all those other memorable moments. It's great because we have different people who serve different purposes in our lives, the groups tend to come and go but like all the regular changes we go through as we grow into adulthood, we roll with the punches and get on with life. Thank God for Facebook cause otherwise a lot of us never would have spoken again.

Friends are important, cause as they say, no man is an island. We will always need partners in crime and people to stop us from doing all those stupid things we usually would ("No Jite, jumping off that ledge is not a good idea. I know you can do it and you probably will survive but lets do something else now ok?"). People to inflate our egos and make us feel special when we need it ("Of course she's gay, why else would she ignore you sweet lines like that?"). We also have those friends who do just the opposite, they mooch off us, take our stuff, always need something but yet as we complain to others about them, we still seem to turn up when they can't foot the bar tab you didn't help them build.

That's why they are friends, I always used to say "it's not by force" to have friends but, oh boy does it help. Even though they make fun of us, tell us when we have something in our teeth, ask us how we left the house dressed like that or honestly look us in the eye and say, "dude, are you getting fatter?". As much as these things piss us off, it's only a true friend that will meet you after work and the first thing they say is "you know your fly is undone right" and you had used the bathroom like 4 hours ago and no one in that time had said anything, even during that presentation you just gave, you just have to live and learn.

Growing up I had a tight knit group of friends who would walk around with me in our silly shorts and play Ghost busters, we lived in the same area and even though there where no mobile phones our parents could always find us come dinner time. We grew up and life led us in different directions, we sometimes see or mail but it will never be the same. That friend that 1st told you about girls, the one that taught you how to pull a wheelie, that girl that managed to infiltrate the group and was literally all our 1st crush (mummies and Daddies...lol...those innocent days). They all have new lives now, went to collage, Uni, a random country but even though they may be far away right now, they helped us become who we are now.

The people we grew up to be have surely, at one point or another infiltrated different social groups, spent a time as a grunge skater boy, bought Timberland boots and baggy jeans, been a sports nut with jerseys and constant sports chatter but these are all just a right of passage. I know girls out there that have changed their looks so many times I have to do a double take every time I leave her for more than a month, or those ones that use their hair styles to show case how they are feeling in that precise moment.

Today I have new groups of friends, the ones I served with, the ones I went to uni with, the ones who know my past, the ones I went crazy with and well, the ones who know me now and still call me up every Friday to blow off steam. As we grow, our needs, wants and habits change, so our close friends tend to emulate the things we need now. In my case, I'm not going to label the friends that tolerate me on my blog as that is a sure fire way to lose them, but the cuteness monster, shisha king, scscscscatter, sweet pea, D gurl, Wheelz, 8grls, Alfie, d-lo-brown, inspector Glaucoma, junky goth, delz, linil, the Dr and oh so many more have kept me sane through these past few odd years. They don't know it but I have been through so much that if their sporadic txts, calls and mails hadn't been there, only God knows what I would have done.

So here's to friends *imaginary champagne flute in the air* for those that kept me awake with midnight calls, those that reduced my much needed sleep just to have me around, those that made me drive the length of Lagos just to say hi, those that were there for me and those that weren't. Thank you for allowing me to bitch and moan to you. Thank you for being there even when I didn't want you to be and most importantly, for those reading. Thanks for the support. Even though my dyslexic ass can't spell, and my tendency to ramble, you're still here reading my words.

So enough with the mushy stuff, friends are there, and we just need to get over our personal crap to realize how important the ones we have are, if you can't think of a good one right now. Then I would advise some heavy re-evaluation of your current status. Or hey, you know what?...just look me up.

No comments: